Sunday, September 27, 2009

Happy Days are Here Again

I went to the Pendleton Round Up several times many years ago but missed the past many years. I was delighted with the Mounted Band that played in the parade and again at the Rodeo and again at the Happy Canyon Pageant and again in the morning on Main Street in front of various stores and shops. For some reason, I do not remember them from days of yore. They had several songs in their repertoire and I heard many of them. I saw them perform 5 times in two days and each time they included "Happy Days are Here Again" in their selection.
After the Parade we had lunch and looked around a while, then made our way to the sun bowl on the west side of the arena in the bleacher seats. As we waited for the crowd to gather, here came the Mounted Band.

The conductor kept time with enthusiasm!

Leather gloves are in style for clapping out time.

It was just another day at the office for the horses

I only saw one mule in a crowd of horses. Given the mechanics of a trombone, it seems like long-ears would have worked better for the sousaphone player.

I used to try to play a trombone, always thought I should try a mule, and have been known to let my wiskers grow. Maybe that explains the photo above and the one below.



The bass drum player was the center of attention because of the arm action. A still photo doesn't do him justice.

They even had a wood wind section over by the "Tuba".

After playing a few tunes for us at the rodeo, they moseyed on around the track and played for other sections of the rodeo crowd.

When we went to the Happy Pageant we had a while to wait before the show started. Here they come again.


No comments:

Post a Comment